Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Sertorius: Musical Inspiration

Like a lot of GMs, I listen to music when I prepare for a game session. I find the right song helps get me in the mood and inspires ideas as well. When we worked on Sertorius I was going for a particular feel so there were specific types of music and artists I tended to turn on when I was mapping or planning things out (as a general rule though I never type while listening to music as it distracts me). Here is a sample list of the artists, albums and songs that helped inspire Gamandria. Usually I was going for a kind of sound that helped me think of Gamandria or something where the subject matter was relevant. I am sure I have left some key ones off the list here: 

Bach, St. John Passion 
Beyonce, Sweet Dreams (Song)
Bill Withers, Ain't No Sunshine (Song) 
Bolt Thrower, War Master (Album)
Carabao (Band)
Cathedral, Forest Equilibrium (Album)
Candlemass, Tales of Creation (Album)
Daft Punk, Get Lucky (Song)
Destiny's Child, Say My Name (Song)
The Doors, Riders on the Storm
Ennio Morricone, The Ecstasy of Gold (Song)
Ennio Morricone, The Mission (Soundtrack)
Gorillaz Demon Days (Album)
Henry Purcell, Funeral Music for Queen Mary
Henry Purcel, Sonatas in 4 Parts for 2 Violins, Bass Viol and Continuo
House of the Rising Sun (The Animals)
Huun-Huur-Tu, Old Songs and Tunes of Tuva (Album)
Iron Maiden, Number of the Beast (Album)
Iron Maiden, Powerslave (Album)
Iron Maiden, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (Album)
Kanye West, All of the Lights
Kanye West, Heartless (Song)
Kim Young Dong, Traveling of Korean Meditation Music (Album)
Led Zeppelin, Houses of the Holy (Album)
Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin IV (Album)
Mario Winans, Hurt No More (Album)
Maurice Jarre, Lawrence of Arabia (Soundtrack)
Monteverdi, Vespro Della Beata Vergine
Ozzy Osbourne, The Ultimate Sin (Album)
Patrick Doyle, Frankenstein (Soundtrack)
Phil Ochs, Crucifixion (Song)
Phil Ochs, Pleasures of the Harbor (Song)
Phil Ochs, Rehearsals for Retirement (Album)
Phil Ochs, When in Rome (Song)
Queen, Queen II (Album)
Queen, A Night at the Opera (Album)
Queen, Innuendo (Album)
Rihanna, Diamonds (Song)
Roy Orbison (Artist)
Sia (Artist)
Tan Dun, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Soundtrack)

No comments:

Post a Comment