In Blood of Daoxu, the players are invited or catch wind of a small tournament that has attracted many martial heroes but discover a series of murders when they arrive. The murders lead to a strange box possessed by Wei Chengsi and a number of Yaksha Demons.
|My campaign folder map of Daoxu|
(apologies for the shadow)
- Medicine Roll (TN 6): He died unaware (probably while sleeping) of blood loss from the puncture wound on the top of his foot.
- There is a small hole in the paper window, looked to have been made by a creature the size of a small dog.
- There is shaggy red hair in the screen as well.
- With Shaggy Red Hair, anyone with two ranks in Creatures (Demon) knows this to be that of a Yaksha (otherwise TN 8).
- Detect (TN 7): There is a blood trail leading from the Inn but it stops at Ro River.
- Reckless Storm was bragging to all the other martial heroes that he would win the Wind Saber of Sunan. He kept walking table to table, laughing and saying “Do you truly believe you have any hope against me?”
- He even went around town seeking the other martial heroes to tell them how he would win .
- Headmaster Mu and the Firelance Brothers are staying at the inn as well. The Firelance Bothers express relief that the 'loudmouth Reckless Storm" is dead. Headmaster Mu seems more concerned. He leaves the next day to stay at Pig Iron An's instead.
- Min heard singing coming from Reckless Storm’s room earlier, so waited before bringing the food. It sounded gentle like the voice of a eunuch or woman.
|The path of the fleeing Yaksha|
- Medicine Roll (TN 6): They died unaware (probably while sleeping) of blood loss from the puncture wound on the top of their feet.
- Detect (TN 6): A blood trail leads to the floorboards. If they inspect this hole, a line of blood goes from it to Headmaster Mu’s room (this is a deliberate attempt by the Yaksha to frame Headmaster Mu—since it knows his voice would match theirs quite closely and has a poor reputation).
- If they inspect Headmaster Mu’s room, on a Detect TN 8 they find a further trail from the hole out the open window and into the street. This leads across the Zhen’e bridge to the Han Residence.
- The room is covered in blood.
- Medicine (TN 6): Iron Clawed Lion King died from burns, but he also has a piercing wound on his foot similar to the other victims.
- Anyone with Creatures (Demons) Rank 3 knows this was a Yaksha trying to defend itself by exploding. Otherwise this knowledge requires a TN 10 roll.
- Medicine (TN 5): Flesh was shredded from bone by claw and or teeth.
- Creature: Demon (rank 3 or more) it was clearly a Yaksha.
- Pig Master An’s son, Yun, heard singing then Headmaster Mu saying “get away from me”. He then heard sounds of someone or something in the courtyard but didn’t think anything of it.
- There is a trail of blood (Detect TN 6) leading to Pei Bao's Tofu. If they follow it, they find that the creature broke in and ate some wet tofu. However a fainter trail (TN 9) begins here and leads the Han Residence.
- According to Pig Iron An, Headmaster Mu had just come from the Han Residence, having gone there earlier to look into a matter.
- If anyone investigates the Han Residence, they learn that Headmaster Mu did come, and that he accused Scholar Han of harvesting Qi through magic.
- Detect TN 5 (Trail leads to the Plum Tree Orchard). From there, Detect TN 6, the trail leads to the ritual site where Chengsi is preparing for his ritual.
In Chengsi’s room is a lacquered box containing the Yaksha demons.
If all goes according to plan, Chengsi kills Sarnai in concert with his performance of the ritual in the Tea Fields. If the players arrive within ten minutes, then they find Chengsi performing the ritual, surrounded by Yaksha and Scholar Han bound in rope. They may even witness the transference.
- The receptacle shows no sign of having any Qi energy, so the the ritual has been cast (they will need the means to detect this).
- Detect TN 10: something is not right with Chengsi and Scholar Han’s skin. Seems a little loose.
- Chengsi claims that Scholar Han stole his skin if he gets a chance to speak.