Friday, August 7, 2020

A SCIENCE FICTION RPG?

Is it time for Bedrock to finally do that science fiction RPG I've been meaning to all these years? 

My first genre loves were horror and science fiction, and the latter was particularly influential in shaping my life. I was a late bloomer as a reader (reading was actually difficult for me early on), but once I overcame that difficulty, I devoured books, and obsessively read 100 pages a day. I was a slower reader, I never mastered skimming text and always read it out loud in my head. But I think this had its advantages and the sounds of words and sentences became very important in my appreciation of books. 

The first science fiction book I remember reading was the City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke. I had already fallen in love with Frankenstein, but at the time it never registered as being science fiction (it always felt more like horror to me). My father has a large cardboard box in the basement filled old science fiction and social fiction novels. This is where I found City and the Stars. It was a very early edition (possibly from when it first came out) and barely intact. But it hooked me from the start. I was soon hunting down every Clarke book I could find: Rendezvous with Rama, The Songs of Distant Earth, Childhood's End, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Fountains of Paradise, etc. And he was still writing when I discovered him so I consumed books like The Hammer of God and The Final Odyssey when the were released. 

The box in the basement yielded more authors: Robert A. Heinlein, Aldous Huxley, Isaac Asimov, H.G. Wells, Frank Herbert, and more. The thing I liked about these kinds of books was they often felt like thought experiments, or long form dialogues exploring an idea or concept. I tended to gravitate toward stuff like Ringworld, Dune and Foundation. 

However, I've never made a science fiction RPG. I think part of the reason is they seem daunting to run. You have the whole universe potentially as a setting (obviously this could be more constrained depending on the concept). Also I have no real scientific background. I love science, and enjoy reading about it, or watching documentaries on space. But my brain is more comfortable with things like history and music than numbers and formulas. So one thing I'd want to do when I do science fiction is bring in someone with that background. 

I have given some thought to the the of science fiction setting I would want to do. It would have to be something as close to Clarke as possible, as that was my biggest inspiration growing up (ideally something related to a City and the Stars like concept). 

I'd also want it to be a line with the potential for more than one type of setting (so there may be a 100 page book that feels like Ringworld, another that feels like Dune, etc). 

I still have a lot to think about in terms of system. I know I want something like, yet deep enough to handle the crunch of a hard science fiction setting. 

If and when it is time, I will keep folks updated. 


No comments:

Post a Comment