Thursday, December 31, 2015

BEST OF THE YEAR

With 2015 coming to an end, I thought I would put together a list of the most popular posts  on the Bedrock Blog from this year. Based on number of views, these were the most popular posts for 2015: 

1. IMMERSION: EMBEDDING GENRE IN SETTING
I guess you can't go wrong talking about immersion because this post received far more hits than we normally get around here. It is basically just me thinking out loud about some setting design principles I've used over the last few years to help maintain immersion while emulating genre. You can read the post HERE

2. WUXIA DUNGEONS
This was a post about how dungeons fit into wuxia campaigns. It came about because I realized it's easy it is to overlook the presence of dungeons in wuxia film and television shows. So GMs, myself included for a while, might be inclined to avoid them in a wuxia setting. I found that they are both a regular features of wuxia and a great fit in a wuxia campaign. You can read the post HERE and the follow-up HERE

3. INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN REVIEW
I do regular wuxia reviews on the blog when I have to time to write them. This was my review of the classic movie Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan. You can read the review HERE

4. LEGEND OF THE BLACK SCORPION REVIEW
A somewhat unusual wuxia movie. You can read my review HERE

5. THE FIVE DEADLY VENOMS REVIEW
My review of one of the most famous martial arts movies ever made. Appropriately it is the 5th most popular post this year. You can read it HERE. 

6. HISTORICAL ATLAS: THE ULTIMATE GM TOOL
If you follow the blog, you know that I like History and occasionally write about history books and resources. This is my argument for the utility of the Historical Atlas. Read the post HERE

7. BRIDE WITH WHITE HAIR REVIEW
One of my favorite wuxia movies, I did a review of The Bride With White Hair earlier this year. You can read it HERE

8. BENOIST POIRE DISCUSSES THE MARMOREAL TOMB
I guess people are pretty excited about the Marmoreal Tomb because this interview was quite popular. You can read it HERE

9. CUTTHROAT CAMPAIGNS: THE JOYFUL MADNESS OF RAMPAGING PLAYER CHARACTERS
I like characters who have an impact on the world. And I especially like characters who smash things. You can read my thoughts on the subject HERE

10. WUXIA VILLAINS
I usually do one or two villain posts a year. For some reason this one got more hits than usual. You can read the post HERE













2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the list Brendan. I found both #1 and #9 especially interesting. I'm not sure I can think of a good way to run Honor+Intrigue without Fortune Points, but I will ponder that question as well as the related question of whether Fortune can be made into something the character (rather than just the player) uses or invokes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gaston's Hat. The approach I lay out isn't for everyone. I am not familiar enough with Fortune Points to know if that can or cannot be done easily.

    ReplyDelete