Wednesday, July 29, 2015

CAMPAIGN NOTES: THE RESURRECTION OF DARIOS TYRNA

This is a new series on the Bedrock Blog where I will be posting campaign notes from my binder. These are all posted as they appear, raw. So they will get messy at times. The purpose is just to show I run some of our games. Keep in mind that while this appears here as one continues entry, these are taken from different sections of my binder that are relevant to the adventure or events in question. I did occasionally include parenthetical notes explaining terms that make no sense without context for the blog. 

This adventure came on the heels of the party killing Darios Tyrna with the Pestilent Smile of Tiresias. This causes the person to die from a virulent plaque of joy. They used it to lure him into a tar pit where they believed he died. The effect of the spell made Darios see their actions in the best possible light, so he didn't carry a grudge when he came to. However Darios, being a Minotaur, was immune to this sort of death and effectively became a carrier.  When he returned to his castle, the plague spread into the village.

The update in my notes is something I added as the campaign progressed (because the players had not yet arrived). 

ADVENTURES OF THE VAARAN KINGDOMS: THE RESURRECTION OF DARIOS TYRNA
Enemy Present: Goresios Maorides

Enemy Goals: Spread rumors tying Dreckergael to the Gru invasion

ADVENTURE PREMISE
Darios Tyrna contacts the party, letting them know he is alive, has no ill will, is dealing with plague in Glaver and would like to see their translation of the pillar (which he assumes they have). The players may wish to put an end to the plague or help Darios Tyrna cure himself of his condition. The only way to do it is bring him to a god or to The Lady of Ramos.

BACKGROUND
Darios died from the Pestilent Smile spell and the Tar Pit, but his body regenerated because he is a minotaur and he found himself in the woods wandering aimlessly the next day. He returned to Tyrna Hauch and encountered a rebellion led by Eparkos Gregorian. This he managed to put down and he imprisoned Gregorian in his tower. He believes Gregorian is mad (he accused him of turning into a beast at night). One week after his return his lover, Gurhella, died of a strange smiling disease. This soon spread to others. Darios is a carrior of the plague and doesn’t know it. So far 15 people have died and it threatens to wipe out the village if nothing is done.

UPDATE: The death toll has risen to 35. Word has spread south and a Jurista will arrive in two days.

JURISTA NUTESH (HALFLING): Nutesh is a Halfling from the Qalah family, a distant cousin of the Queen. He is loyal to Gesara and to the King. His primary aim when he arrives is to stop the plague as a threat to the king and find the Sertori responsible. He has 12 Dwarven Spearmen and 3 Ogres with him.

12 DWARVEN GUARDS
Defenses: Hardiness 7*, Stealth 3, Evade 5, Parry 7*, Wits 6, Resolve 8
Key Skills: Heavy Melee: 2d10, Light Melee 2d10, Medium Melee 2d10, Large Ranged 2d10, Muscle 2d10, Survival (Wilderness) 3d10, Khubsi 3d10, Ronian 2d10, Gruskel (Varran) 2d10, Singh 1d10

Wounds: 2
Equipent: Heavy Spear (4d10 or 2d10), Scale Armor, Small Shield, Helmet, Long Sword 4d10)

3 OGRES
Defenses: Hardiness 8*, Stealth 4, Evade 5**, Parry 8**, Wits 6, Resolve 8
Skills: Heavy Melee 2d10 or 1d10 (Dab Yai), Medium Melee 2d10, Wrestling 2d10, Muscle 4d10, Speed 1d10,  Detect 3d10
Damage: 7d10 (Dab Yai), 5d10 (club/mace)
Resist: 2d10
Wounds: 6
*Breast Plate, Helmet, Medium Shield and Arm Guard

THE GESARIANS
The Gesarians are followers of Gesara. They are part of the Church of Ramos, respected by many within it, but viewed as extreme by some adherents. They have many monasteries dedicated to their cause and their leader, Gesara, has the ear of the king. They are sometimes called the Gesarian Order and the king recently created new a new office filled by 18 men called Juristas, a position that grants them the exclusive power to try suspected Sertori and executed confirmed Sertori.  In pursuit of this mission, Juristas each have 12 spearmen and the right to detain anyone they wish provided it relates to Sertori. All Archons must by law not interfere with or resist the Juristas. Trials can occur without the knowledge of Sertori, and require 2 eye witness accounts and 1 article of physical evidence. They also require if possible testimony for or against by two people who know the suspect well. The Juristas are led by a Probo. These titles are Latari because the King felt that gave them greater credibility.

LETTER FROM DARIOS TYRNA MAORIDES (HANDOUT)

To my dear allies and friends, the company of the illustrious Lord Gaius Eliades; Darios Tyrna Maorides, lord of Glaver and Tyrna Hauch, sends peace and greetings, glory and honor in the light of Ramos.

I am finally compelled to write to you, my good and worthy friends, now that the Lord of Light has carried me to safety and the warmth of my hearth. Much has happened since we last met, but I must first humbly ask your forgiveness for my inexplicable bout of madness that surely endangered not only our efforts to recover the pillar but also our very lives. Who knows what foul beast my outcries brought from the heart of the forest. Last I remember you were desperately trying to save a raving and wild Dario Tyrna from the bubbling tar. After that it grows hazy. When I awoke, all was dark. In a haze I found bodies, ripped and savaged. For a time I feared these were your remains, but I heard word of your success from a contact in Tongtel and am joyous that you at last found the pillar and are unharmed. Excellent news! My esteem for you grows boundless by the day.

I understand the pillar was sold to the Order of Justinian (a fine organization, they will do well with it) but I trust my friends were wise enough to copy the text. Regardless you should come see me when time permits, but I beg do so urgently as plague has befallen Glaver and I need help curing them before Gesara sends her Juristas to bring harm upon my people.

Here I must be blunt, and I trust you will burn this letter after reading to purge any evidence against us. I am aware of your gifts dear friends. News of your achievements brings rumor of Sertori. But fear not. I too am Sertori. I know well the dangers you face and fear that you understand the dangers I face should news of this plague reach the capital. No doubt Gesara will send her Jusristas and they will snoop, and eventually they will discover evidence that I am Sertori. So I must eliminate this confounding illness. 

I suspect the plague is a kind of madness, as the victims descend into a state of crippling mirth that is lethal in most cases (we have had a few recoveries). So far 15 have died. In a village of one hundred and eight that is substantial. And I think I know a possible source.

When I first arrived in Tyrna Hauch, I was met by rebellion. My trusted Eparkos and friend, Gregorian, led his men against me. He uttered non-sense and accused me of things that still boggle my mind. But he is a good man and I care for his well being. Clearly madness befell him. So I’ve placed him in custody and kept him well fed until we can find a cure for his condition.

I believe there is a link between his madness and the plague afflicting Glaver. Who knows what evils the forests have unleashed this time. I certainly could use your keen minds finding a solution to this puzzle.

Also I hear Gaius Eliades’ Uncle and our esteemed Lord of War is besieged by a foul army of hill tribes. Darios Tyrna is a great admirer of Hamil alu-BoraKar-Harba. My soldiers are at your disposal. My men are few, but they are brave and I am loyal. Together we can slaughter the invaders and bring Hamil to safety.



No comments:

Post a Comment